Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Made To Crave

I have to tell you that I am not trying to lose weight this time without a little (a lot of) help.  About a month ago, I decided to join a Bible study at my church.  I'm new at the church and decided it would be a good way for me to get to know some ladies, mostly.  The name of the study is Made To Crave by Lysa Terkeurst.  I honestly didn't give the topic much thought.  I've done Bible studies about weight loss before.  I have tried EVERYTHING to lose weight and keep it off..I'm not even exaggerating.  Well, everything except surgery, I guess. 

At any rate, the study has been the reason I am giving this weight loss thing another try.  And...I have to say that my perspective is completely different now.  So, as I share what is happening on this part of my "journey to life", I'm sure I'll be referencing this book along the way.  We are about 4 weeks into the study, and the last week or so has really changed my thinking.

Made To Crave isn't a weight loss plan.  In fact, it really doesn't cover a food plan or way of eating at all.  What it does do is make you think about what scripture has to say about food and allowing God to have control over everything in your life...including your diet and health.  This is an excerpt that helped to think differently about my struggle.
But, what if this battle with food isn't the curse we've always thought it to be?  What if it's actually the very thing, if brought under control, that can lead us to a better understanding of God?  What if we could actually get to the place where we thanked God for letting us face this battle because of the rich treasures we discovered on the battlefield?
My friend E. Titus sums up with I am discovering as well:
When I get all caught up in how unfair it is that my friend is skinny and doesn't have to work at it, how she can eat what she wants when she wants, and how much it stinks that I can't be like her, I remind myself that God didn't make me to be her.  You see, He knew even before I was born that I could easily allow food to be an idol in my life, that I would go to food, instead of to Him, to fulfill my needs.  And in His great wisdom, He created my body so that it would experience the consequences of such a choice, so that I would continually be drawn back into his arms.  He wants me to come to Him for fulfillment, emotional healing, comfort - and if I could go to food for that and never gain an ounce, well then, what would I need God for?
Hmm...God knew me before I was born.  He knew what my struggles would be.  He created me.  He created me imperfect with issues, because He wanted me to learn to turn to Him.  That includes my issues with food.  He knew before I gained this weight that my true struggle isn't weight, it's trusting and leaning on Him instead of my own devices.  My own devices, food in this case, are harmful to my size and my health.  And, now I realize that He knows I can't do this on my own.  And I realize that I can't.  My own willpower isn't enough, and it's not supposed to be. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Totally needed your encouragement today! Praying as you prepare to leave!!

    ReplyDelete