Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip, he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you, the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm, he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” Psalm 121


I read this scripture today, as part of Renee's post at Be His Hands & Feet.  This is comforting to me as I claim it for "our" kiddos at The Covering who are sick and in need of healing.  I spent such a short time with them in May, and yet I an honestly say that I love them like crazy.  I have to remember that as much as I wish I could scoop them all up and bring them home, take all their hurts and fears away, both physically and emotionally....they are the Lord's...not mine.  


"I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper and not to harm you...to give you hope and a future."  Jer 29:11


He knows them.  He created them.  He has a plan for them...a plan to prosper and not to harm them, to give them hope and a future.  It's so hard for me to understand why the reality of this world is what it is.  Today, I'm just trying to rest in knowing God IS sovereign. He knows and I don't have to.  This is His plan, His work...not mine.  I'm not in charge and I don't make the decisions... I'm just trying to obey His call on my life and say 'Yes' when the opportunity is given.  The rest is up to Him.  


I have gotten word from Erica, who is in Sierra Leone now, that there will be no medical visas.  I don't know all the details, but I know God does.


There is good news today, though.  I also got word from Erica that Gerald is doing very well after a few days in the hospital!  Praise God!  He's gained weight and is alert - even sitting up on his own!!!  Woo hoo!  I can't tell you how big of an improvement that is since I saw him in May.  I'm so excited and so thankful that God chose to meet those needs for Gerald in this way!  I've been told that he'll go back to The Covering sometime this week.


A couple of days ago, I received news from Cari that Geraldine had been admitted to a 'Theraputic Nutrition Center'.  She was on a 3-hr feeding schedule of a special formula from Unicef and Plumpy Nut.  I'm anxious to hear what the latest news is.  Erica was going to try to get to the hospital today for a visit.


I'm so very thankful that the twins made it to The Covering and for all the wonderful care they have from committed staff and caregivers there.  Even what we in America would call horrendous circumstances, these men and women have more love and compassion than I have ever seen.  In fact, with all my heart I believe that in many ways, Sierra Leonians are far better off than we are, even though many would argue that because of our material possessions this is a crazy statement.


The people of  Sierra Leone have a faith like I've never witnessed before in my life.  They trust God for EVERYTHING...because they have to.  Even in what Americans would consider extreme poverty, they are full of joy.  Their smiles are radiant.  The caregivers and staff at The Covering are full of the love of Christ and proclaim it all day long!  They rejoice in every blessing they are given and see goodness everywhere.  They were such a blessing to me during my travels, to watch them pour out everything they have for the orphan they have helped rescue.  They are amazing people!  I pray that I am even half the person that Pastor Daniel, Aunty Marie, Aunty Esther, Aunty Sara, Quami, Osseh, Fatmata & Foday, and all the rest of them are.  I wish I knew and could remember all their names.  They are incredibly amazing and I feel honored to have had the opportunity to meet them and spend even just a little time there getting to know them.


Knowing that the twins are in the hands of such wonderfully loving and hard working people make it easier for me to rest and have peace of mind.  I would have loved for the twins to be here with me, so that I could take care of them, but I know that they have an entire staff who loves and adores them and will do whatever it takes to make sure they are ok.  My heart hurts a little because they are not coming home with me, but I'm so thankful they are right where God wants them to be.  They are His.  He has a plan.  I'm thankful for the willingness of the staff at The Covering to be part of it, and I'm praying that God will bring another opportunity for us to serve His sweet children.

No comments:

Post a Comment