Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's Alive!

Just this evening, after being set beside my crockpot which is boiling chicken broth, it has come alive and seriously looks like a bowl of boiling oatmeal (or something?) on the counter.  It's homemade sourdough bread starter.  I started last Friday with 1 cup of rye flour and 1 cup of water.  I put it in a sterilized bowl the next day and added those same ingredients again.  Every day after that, the same.

I left the house about 8:00 pm this evening to go to a friend's house.  When I returned at 10:00, it had bubbled over the side of the bowl.  I put it in a bigger bowl and have been blogging and surfing for a couple of hours watching it rise to the top.  I'm going to have to get an even bigger bowl before I go to sleep.  I've never seen anything like it.

I've got two more days to go, per the instructions, before I stop feeding it and use it to bake sourdough bread.  I can't imagine what it will look like by then.  I hope this works.  I love homemade bread!

I took pictures, but Harrison put my memory card reader in the toilet the other day, so the pics will have to wait for a day or so.   I assume it was an action in protest to the effort I was making at potty training.   I'm not for sure, but he is definately on track for covert operations job in the military....don't let the 2-year old jibber jabber fool ya!

1 comment:

  1. hi...just hopped over from sits and signed up to follow! stop by my blog and enter my giveaway. i have one posted each week!

    ReplyDelete