Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Stupid In America

This is a video of a 20/20 article that I have not watched yet, but I want to watch.  I'm just posting it here, so it will be easier for me to find when I have time for it.  I figured a few of you might be interested in it, as well.

We do homeschool our boys right now.  We have chosen not to get too ahead of ourselves, though, and just take it one year at a time.  We will have a 3rd grader and a kindergartener in the fall.  I've already purchased the base of the curriculum we'll use from My Father's World.  I'll bring in other reading materials and activities as it is necessary.  Jackson will also be using Singapore Math, and both writing and language programs from Susan Wise Bauer.  He'll also be memorizing a history timeline from Veritas Press.  Jackson will take a standardized test in the spring, just so I can compare some of his work to his peer group across the country.

Besides the nuts & bolts of curriculum, they will also be participating in two different co-ops each week.  One program is just the "fun stuff" - art, music, drama and pe.  The other is also fun, but includes some academic time as well.  Besides co-op, we have Children's Music Academy music class, church classes 2-3 times per week, Upward basketball, city league baseball/T-ball, Missouri Dept of Conservation classes, and other various fun things as they arise.    These boys have no shortage of opportunity for social activities!!

I've chosen to homeschool year-round, which gives us more flexability in our schedule.  We are currently taking a break that will last until I return from Africa.  We'll start our new curriculum in June.

I'd love to know what your choices are regarding educating your children, and how it is going!  Leave me a comment and let me know.


1 comment:

  1. Hi I live in South Africa, i had to take my daughter out of the government schools because the classes were just too big and she was constantly in trouble for talking. I sent her to a private school, very expensive I don't think she is getting a better education, her grades are good average of 65% but I worry about the quality of the teachers. Home schooling not an option for me, am a career mom who is a much better mother because I work.

    ReplyDelete