Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

The Countdown Continues: T-10!

My departure for Sierre Leone, West Africa is quickly approaching and I'm busily trying to make lists and get everything in order.  I had hoped to get it all together and even start packing this week.  I have accomplished some, but not as much as I had hoped.  The arrival of the puppies has slowed things down a lot.  That's ok, though!  They are worth it!

I did make one last trip to the mall for capris, shorts and new pajamas..(can't be staying for 10 days with people you don't know very well without new pajamas)...travel size toothpastes, soaps, etc., lots of mosquito repellent (deet free), rain boots, poncho, and snacks.  I haven't started packing yet, though.  I guess I'll try to get that started the first of next week.

I am going to try to get some food together for Doug and the kids to eat while I'm gone.  If I don't, I'm sure they'll be eating pizza and PB&J for 10 days.  Which is not the end of the world, but I'm a mom...so, I'm getting the crockpot out today and it will be fired up for a few days until I get at least a roast and a chicken in the freezer.

Carter is starting to get a little worried about my being gone, so I'm hoping to put together some notes and small gifts for them to open while I'm away.  We should also be able to Skype, so hopefully that will help everyone out.  I'm afraid it's going to be just as hard (maybe harder) for me as it is for them.  Please pray for all of us - we've never been apart this long before.  It will be a good thing for all of us, though, I'm sure.

Our morning devotions were about how we can transform our minds to be more like Christ's and that through that process, we learn what God's will is for our lives.  It gave us a good opportunity to talk about why mommy is going to Africa and what opportunities God might bring them someday.  That's this mommy's goal - for these boys to know and do God's will for their lives!

If any of  you have any international travel tips - I'd love to hear them!

I'm also still trying to figure out what to take to the kiddos we are sponsorting.  I'm definately going to put together a small photo album of our family for them to keep.  I'm hoping that I can get the boys to sit down and make them some cards or pictures, and I'd like to take Mamie a small baby doll and Muhammed some Hot Wheels.  The twins are going to get one of those mini-blankets to snuggle.

I've gotten a new digital video camera to take so I can post video on the blog.  I've got to get it out of the box, make sure it works and do a practice video or two before I go.  So, be looking for that in the next couple days.

There has been SO much going on around here and lots of things in my mind that I want to post about.  Hopefully, you'll see some info on Weston A Price and related food topics, my baking projects for the week, puppy footage, kid stuff and garden/flower bed photos, too.

1 comment:

  1. With the children we look after here, crayons, pens, pencils, colouring books all go down well because they are real luxury items for them, caps they love caps. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete