Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

An "Olympic Gold" For God?



I was so tired this morning after being away from home most of the week, that I really didn't want to get up and go to church.  Honestly, I was hoping I might be able to get out of it.  The week coming up is going to be just as crazy and I was thinking a day to just relax would be really nice.  However, my Catholic-raised husband doesn't approve of skipping and was already up and getting the boys dressed, so I kept my mouth shut and got ready to go.

Hearing what the pastor had to say this morning was just what I needed and confirmation that we are walking the right road by getting involved in orphan ministry.    Since the Olympics are in full swing, he related our lives to the preparation the Olympic athletes go through to be prepared for their competitions.  The experience of the Olympics is a prize in itself, but the gold medal is their goal.  He used 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 as his text.

10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. 11For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— 13 each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.14If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. 15If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

I've heard this message before, in different words, but today it took on a whole new meaning.  The gist of it is this.....We are all going to stand on the "medal platform" before Christ one day to give an account of our lives.  Our works here on Earth will be judged by God according to whether or not they had any lasting, eternal value.  Am I living out my faith and making a difference for His Kingdom - or just enjoying the blessings I've been given and living my life, calling myself a Christian because I prayed a sinners prayer and sit on a pew every Sunday morning?  I've been guilty of the latter.  We all probably have.

However, I'm not in this race just to enjoy the "Olympic experience".  I want to win GOLD!  I don't want to make heaven by the skin of my teeth.  I want to hear Him say "Well done, my good and faithful servant."  I don't expect the training to be easy, but I know the reward will be worth it!


1 comment:

  1. your faith really shines through on this blog! thanks for stopping by my blog on my SITS feature day, I really appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete