Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Our "American Dream" is Gone

I've been thinking lately about our journey over the last couple of years.  We have had quite the transformation in our lives from being focused on achieving that perfect family, the right job, a great home...all the things that are part of the "American Dream" we grew up thinking is what we need to be striving for.  It started with learning about a family friend who was adopting two young boys from Ethiopia, which led to a ton of research.  I spent countless hours and sometimes didn't sleep the entire night while I was scouring the internet and reading books about world hunger, child trafficking and how even though I don't feel like it, I am in the most wealthy 5% of the human race.  


Over the course of several months...now over a year...God brought us to a place of praying that He would break our hearts for what breaks His and recommitting our lives to Christ, where ever that may lead us.  The American Dream for us is gone....and we are truly glad that it is.  


Today, we are still at the place of surrender, but not yet knowing exactly where God will take us or what He has for us.  Our prayer now is, "Here we are...send us".  I'll not lie and tell you that it's a really comfortable place to be.  It's filled with unknown factors and being completely dependent on God....it's not easy.  Still, it is also filled with the most peace and contentment we have ever known.  


So....our journey to this place has not happened over the course of a day or even a week or a month.  It has taken time and sometimes I forget.  When I get frustrated because there are so many around me who don't understand my heart and seem to be very complacent about all these issues that have become so dear to us, I need to remember where I started. 


I do believe that part of what He has called us to is to raise awareness, educate and help people understand the need and find a place to serve.  Proverbs 24:11-12 have become one of my life verses.  It says this...

      Don't hesitate to step in and help.
If you say, "Hey, that's none of my business," 
   will that get you off the hook?
Someone is watching you closely, you know— 
   Someone not impressed with weak excuses.  (The Message)


You will not be held accountable for what you do not know.  To hide in that fact, though, is cowardice and not the way of truth.  I do know...and I will be held responsible for my reaction to that knowledge. 


With an assumption that those who may read the next few posts may not know some of what I've learned over the past year, I am going to share it with you.  Then, assuming you may feel led to do something or get involved but don't know where or how, I'm going to give you a few places you can start.  


If you are already involved in serving those less fortunate than yourself, I'd love for you to comment and share how.  It may be just what someone else needs to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment