Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Homemade Sourdough Bread: Take 2

As I posted earlier, I tried my hand at making homemade sourdough bread.  I intended to post pictures for you, but I'm having technical difficulty doing that and, honestly, it turned out terrible.  I ended up with two bricks rather than loaves of bread.  I followed the video instructions as closely as I could, but they weren't very clear about measurements.  I'm not really sure what the problem was, but there most definately was a problem.

However, yesterday I spent some time researching and reading about sprouted flours and how much more healthy they are for you.  I found Breadtopia, which gave much more clear instructions about making sourdough from scratch, so I'm giving it another go round.

I was successful last week at making a viable sourdough starter from rye flour and water, so I am using that as my leavening agent and then using spelt flour for the bread.  I'm posting the videos, which are much more detailed and I have actually already stirred up my bread and it is rising now.  Hopefully, by evening, we'll have hot bread and butter to eat.  









www.breadtopia.com has many more videos and lots more information about all types of breads and breadmaking.


For a near-future project, I'm working on procuring a grain mill so that I can sprout spelt or whole wheat berries and grind my own flour.  The goal is to be making bread from sprouted flour, which is even healthier and easily digested than the normal whole grain bread.  



No comments:

Post a Comment