Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Getting The Garden Started

One of my goals this summer is to garden and produce as much healthy veggies as I can.  Hopefully, we will be successful enough to feed us throughout the summer and into the fall.  If I'm lucky, I hope to have enough green beans, onions, tomatoes and peppers to preserve for winter use.


I'm really new to gardening, I planted my first very small one last summer.  It did ok, but not quite as well as I had hoped.  This year, we are in a different house so we'll be building new plots and trying to plant as much as we can in the space we have available.  


Doug has applied for a job in Columbia, which might mean we'll be moving before the garden is actually planted or producing.  That's sort of a bummer as far as the garden goes.  We won't know for a few weeks, so we decided to go ahead and get started building one here and just see what happens.  


The location of the plots in the back have been chosen, but the borders need to be built and I've got to find a source for compost and other "soil" ingredients.  The soil here is mostly clay, so we are going to purchase what we want and build square-foot style beds.  This year, they will be deeper, hopefully about 12-18 inches.  If anyone has any suggestions for soil composition and depth of planting, or anything else garden related, I'd love to hear!


I've got tomato, peppers, cilantro, cucumbers, squash and zuccini started inside.  We have used all heirloom seeds from Baker Seed Company, in Mansfield, MO.   We'll also be planting green beans, onion, carrots.


I'll post before and after pictures when it is all finished.  

No comments:

Post a Comment